Thursday, October 29, 2009

Fear vs. Love

This morning I was thinking about God (I know, it's not a new idea) and the thought kept coming to me that God loves me. This is not a new thought to me, but it is always affirming to hear. But then I started thinking about other faiths, other religions. Many people serve their god out of fear - fear for their life, or the well-being of their family, their crops or their community. But this is what makes the God of the Bible different; it's not about fear, but love. There is a verse in the Bible that kept ringing in my head, it's from the book of Jeremiah. God is speaking through the prophet Jeremiah to the people from Israel who have been forced from their homes and scattered throughout nearby nations. And this is the message for them: "The LORD appeared to us in the past, saying "I have loved you with an everlasting love; I have drawn you with loving-kindness." I have loved you with an everlasting love....that's pretty awesome!


And..this is just one instance. Jesus talked about love so frequently... if you think of a specific instance, leave a comment below.

No comments:

Post a Comment