Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Speaking an Intelligent Christianity

tonight I had the great privelage of getting coffee with a good friend, that I haven't had a chance to really hang out with for a long time. I miss this friend, because he challenges me...In fact, I don't know many people that he doesn't challenge. I also miss him, because of the level of genuine thought that he brings to a discussion; i miss bouncing intellectual ideas about true christianity off of him. And along with that, he shared a need with me that I have heard a lot of lately. and that is to speak...
I think of the prophet of the Old Testament, Jeremiah, who spoke the words of God; amidst heavy persecution. He never wanted to speak for God and he paid heavily for it: he was put in jail, beaten, tortured, and was not allowed to take a wife and raise children (a very shameful thing in ancient Jewish society). There was a price for him to pay to speak the words of God; his will, his safety, his comfort. And what is "words of God" anyways? 90% of all biblical prophecy bringes the audience back to the Hebrew Covenant, specifically to seek Yahweh, and Yahweh alone. A true "word of God" should bring the listener back to a place of pursuing God. Are not each and everyone one of us called to bring light into the dark places, to help others pursue God. To me, that's what speaking the word of God really is; getting out of the way, so that all could be drawn to Christ....just some thoughts....

3 comments:

  1. hmmmm.... i think i might "meditate" on that (chew) a little more before I comment for real.

    (Just know that you challenged me in this)

    ReplyDelete
  2. To the best of my knowledge (which apparently edu wise is not a whole lot) was there ever a promise made that being a "prophet" (a speaker of the word) would be easy??? Didn't think so! So in my opinion... those who were in this because they thought it would be a cake walk... FIND ANOTHER JOB.... and those who are in this an know its going to be hard keep this in mind... "life's tuff get a helmet."

    Seriously though, I have been praying a dangerous prayer lately and its all because of a song... "Holy fire burn away my desire of anything that is not of you and is of me, I want more of you and less of me, empty me, empty me, fill me with you... I want more, I want more of you Jesus." I think thats what the prophet's prayers were and I think its a good prayer for us as followers of Christ and as doers of the word to pray. After all shouldn't we be striving to be more like Him, isn't that how we are going to make that difference?

    ReplyDelete
  3. James, I love everything about what you said. I think the time has past for some to speak the word of God...we have all been given the mandate to bring his message to people. Thanks for the challenge to speak in times it might go against my comfort. :)

    ReplyDelete